The beauty and magnificence of the Emerald Gemstone need no mention. For centuries now, it has changed the world of gems with its striking green hues and exclusivity.
Being the most precious gemstone in the beryl group, the Emerald stone carries such great value which surpasses many others in the category.
The name ‘Emerald’ comes from the word ‘esmeralde’, a French term from the Greek word ‘smaragdos’ which means ‘greenstone’.
Emerald Gemstone History
Since time immemorial, we have heard hundreds of remarkable legends about this gem.
In the days of yore, the earliest of emeralds available in near the Red Sea in Egypt and so, the mines there became one of the very first sources of these beautiful stones.
However, these mines put-to-use by Egyptian pharaohs. And were later name as “Cleopatra’s Mines”, after the eminent Queen Cleopatra of Egypt.
In India, the significance of emeralds can be ascertained with the fact that the holy scriptures of the Hindus, the Vedas, refer them as precious gems that contain healing properties to increase well-being and bring good luck.
Perhaps, for this reason, there was no dearth of emeralds in the treasure chests of Indian Kings & Queens. Even today, people all over the country are fascinated by these beautiful stones and look for natural emerald gemstone to take benefit of their properties.
Origin of Emerald Stone
One of the most famous sources of emeralds is Colombia. Secondly ,It is the international center of emerald mining. With the demand of emeralds souring as high as ever, today several places are producing these gorgeous green stones.
The deposits near Africa, Europe, and South America, have contributed to the rise of emerald production.
These days, not only Colombia but also Brazil and Zambia are the top producers of beautiful emeralds. Other famous producers of these stones are Afghanistan, Australia, Ghana, India, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tanzania, Russia and the United States.
Curiosities about the Green Gemstone
For eons, emerald stones have been a subject of interest among gem lovers and astrology believers. Several interesting points have come to the surface with years and years of studies, believes and traditions. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Wearing of this stone provides protection against misfortune and brings immense luck. Perhaps, this is the reason why people from all over the world buy emerald in huge quantities every year.
- According to Indian astrology, the emerald gemstone represents the planet Mercury, which is consider as “prince” among-st the other divine planets. By representing intellect, wisdom, love, and honesty, just as the planet Mercury does, emerald brings significant advantages to the wearer.
- Legend has it that the emerald-goddess preserves the chastity and faithfulness of women. There are also stories that emerald has the power to detect betrayal . And many men in the prehistoric age gifted emerald jewelry to their wives to keep them away from disloyalty.
- Emerald is also the stone of truth and persuasive speaking, and this is the reason why in 800-250 B.C. Hermes, the messenger of the Gods, connects with this gemstone.
- If folklores are to be be assume Similarly, there is another exciting curiosity about the Romans that they held a firm belief in the emerald’s power to treat the eyes from any ailment. From recovering the eyesight to ensuring the overall health of the eyes, this gemstone do it all.
- Similarly, another fantastic point about emerald is that the Mystic Johannes van Ruusbroec (1293-1381 A.C.) proclaims that emerald gemstone was the holy spirit of Jesus.